I am an Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
I am also a Registered Nurse (RN). In addition to my
15 years of board-certified expertise managing complex lactation situations, I bring 15 more years of neonatal nursing experience
working with newborns (well-born, premature, and sick).
Cumulatively, that is decades of experience nursing families back to health and 28 years of experience caring for people.
My mission is to protect, promote, and support breastfeeding throughout the Brazos Valley. I desire to help you enjoy breastfeeding!
I've already helped thousands of mothers and babies to
enjoy their breastfeeding relationship and I can help you, too.
Shannon Sweet, RN, IBCLC
(Click on the buttons below to learn more about me.)
(Read on to learn more about a Consultation with me.)
What Kind of Things Can You Help Me With?
MATERNAL Things Like:
Or, INFANT Things Like:
Do You Come to My House?
No. I provide my relaxed, infant-centered consultations at my home-like facility in Bryan. (I am the yellow house located at the corner of Villa Maria and Nash (in the Blinn College area.)
How Much Does it Cost?
Click HERE to learn more about cost and other FAQs.
What Happens During a Consultation?
I listen, ask questions, examine both you and baby, and observe you feed or pump. Then, I utilize my experience to identify the source of your problems and recommend solutions that are consistent with current, evidence-based, lactation practices. I want you to feel confident with your feeding plan.
Please Explain More About What is Included in a Consultation?
Why Do You Practice Privately Instead of at a Hospital or Clinic?
The main reason is so that I can spend more time with you. I deliberately schedule the amount of time it often requires to thoroughly help you feed your baby (up to 1 to 2 hours per visit) and identify the barriers making your breastfeeding difficult.
Do You Know Shannon Sanford, RN, IBCLC?
Yes, I do. That is (was) me. 'Sanford' was my former last name.
Are You Associated with Basics for Breastfeeding or Wee Little Me?
At one time, yes, Sweet Lactation first operated
under the name, Wee Little Me (part of Basics for Breastfeeding).
I Still Have More Questions?
What is an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)?
An IBCLC is someone who is:
- Knowledgeable and experienced to whom mothers and other health professionals turn to when skilled assistance is required
- Competent to assist mothers with establishing and sustaining breastfeeding, even in the midst of difficulties and high-risk situations
- Experienced in a wide variety of complex breastfeeding situations
- Recognized the world over as possessing the only standardized, board-certified, credential available
- A health care specialist who has completed thousands of clinical hours helping mothers and babies breastfeed and has completed additional training about Human Lactation before passing a rigorous certification exam
- Required to abide by Standards of Practice and to practice within a Code of Ethics
- A specialist who will work together with mothers to prevent and solve breastfeeding problems
- Skilled in using a problem-solving approach to provide appropriate information, recommendations and referrals
- Prepared to educates families, health professionals and policy makers about the far-reaching and long-lasting value of breastfeeding
- Able to help you whether you need basic information prenatally, assistance in the hospital, help with breastfeeding, or guidance to prepare for your return to work